Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Grounhog Day: Being a Caregiver

Today I have found myself reflecting on all the things that my husband (Stewart) does as my caregiver.  He is an amazing person and I very blessed to have him in my life.  We have been married 13 years now. 

Stewart's morning starts out 5:00 a.m. getting out of bed and getting ready for work.  Then he gets my morning pills together along with my cranberry juice mixed with a laxative and brings it into me to take before he leaves.  He apply's a patch on my back that is a medicine used for early onset Alzheimer's.  No, I don't have Alzheimer's but I do have Multiple Sclerosis (diagnosed 15 years ago) which can have terrible problems with cognitive abilities.  The patch really does work by way. 

Stewart works hard all day and makes a really nice living.  Again like I said before I have been very blessed to be married to him and have him as my caregiver.  He is kind, considerate (most of the time) :o), strong and very smart.  He has learned and understands the fine line between being a caregiver and a husband.  The two are very different from each other and when they get intertwined it can get very messy.  A caregiver has different duties then what the norm is for your spouse.

Back to my story.  Now, it is time for him to come home from work.  He sits in traffic for about an hour before he arrives home.  He comes gives me kiss, pets the kitties and right away starts making our dinner.  You can see that he still hasent stopped since he left in the morning.  Go, go, go is his motto, well not really but it should be because that's all he does from a.m. to p.m.  After dinner is finished he cleans up the kitchen and prepares my evening pills.  After that he is able to rest for a little while before bed.  At that time he gets maybe an hour or so to be my husband before he turns back into a pumpkin oh I mean caregiver. lol lol  It just doesn't stop for him.  After is time to chill he still has to go get his clothes ready for work the next day, make the coffee and clean the cat box.  It's another Groundhog day all over again.  Wow, just writing this I'm realizing really how much he does in his day! No wonder he is always so exhausted and says that he cannot add one more thing to his plate!  I do actually realize most this to a point but I'm not in his shoes to know exactly how or what he is feeling, most of the time he says he is fine.

You are probably wondering where I am in this marriage.  I stay home all day not able to drive much and work on Hope 4 Disabilities.  I do laundry when I can, clean up and organize my house and help out where ever I can.  A lot of days I just can hardly move due to extreme fatigue, cognitive problems with memory and terrible pain in my back and a lot of times all over my body.  Sooo because of all this I cannot be me at least the me that I used to know.  Ok,  that's a story for another time.

Stewart, to the best of his ability's helps me live a full life.  I have so much to be thankful for and I am also thankful that the good Lord is with me and helps me get through my days.  Well, it's time to start the day all over again

 Thank you Stewart for loving me for me!
 Well that's just about it, at least what I can remember. lol lol

2 comments:

  1. What else can you ask for a husband? Allow me to say that you're really lucky to have him. He loves you so much that he's willing to do everything for your family. Anyway, how are you now? I hope that everything is fine especially you and your husband's health.

    -Theodore Wong

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Kimberly. I guess you've just found the perfect husband. With all the hardships your going through, he has proven his marriage vow that he'll be there for you through thick and thin, in sickness and in health. I wish that you'd have a happy and strong marriage always and forever! ;)

    Taneka Carl

    ReplyDelete